Sunday, June 19, 2011

Beauty Among The Thorn

Search and Select The Text

Songs of Solomon 2:1

Watch The Context:

She dscribe herself as something low, while describing her husband as something tall such as apple tree (verse 3)

The husband responded to her by expressing her uniqueness despite her "lowliness" (verse 2)

Observe The Word

Most translation describe quite similar expression, NLT gives extra reference for the description of rose along with NET

Sharon: A steep valley between Mount Tabor and Lake Tiberias - indicating the expression of lowliness compare to the height of the man

Rose - apparently the hebrew word do not refer the flower into roses but rather to another flower only known as meadow-saffron. The expression of the word here is rather a contrast - "rose and lily" indicating the "redness yet white" person. Lowly yet loved. She wants to show her bride, that she might be lowly, but significant - as later responded by her man (verse 2)

Reflect the Message in Personal Experience:

The woman in the verse reflected as a humble person yet she doesnt have a low self esteem. She sees herself as a beauty in her own way. She is "significant" and loved by her husband. I often feel, that i have to be super extraordinary person and then God will love me. And i too often wants to be unique so i can be loved by people around me. But this verse reminds me quite the contrary. The rose of sharon basically hidden, and the lily is living among the thorn (verse 2) yet It is visible and precious in the eyes of the groom. If i relate this with Christ and His Bride, it shows the love that Christ have for its Church. - the love that can see goodness in the most plain place (like Sharon valley) and among thorns.

Keyword: love, acceptance, self esteem

Develop A New Walk in Grace

1. I have to value myself according to how God value me, rather than trying to value myself according to how the world value one another

2. I have to see my spouse in the eyes of love the way God sees me too

Prayer:

Search me o God, and help me to see, for too often i value myself according to the way world value one another. Even though i am loved and seen by you as a precious roses and a beautiful lilies.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Singapore

No comments: